If you are in the market for a new website or digital marketing services, you have a few choices.
1) Type in website design company, freelancer etc, and see what emerges and contact those who appeal
2) Ask for referrals from friends and family and hope you get a good list to work from.
So what are the benefits of using an agency over a freelancer?
They should have a team of people who are supposed to be dedicated to their roles, how good they are you never can tell until you start working with them.
For small projects such as many portfolio type websites and landing pages, an agency can seem like an expensive route to go as you are paying for all those people to enjoy a decent living and offices and such like as part of the expenses for the firm.
You should however in theory get a more rounded service package and some areas such as service level agreements being built in to the service (or offered at a price) and to feel like the project is trusted to be quality when a number of people are working at a firm.
The reality is many agencies are less than perfect, and you can run into issues as much as choosing a freelancer on many occasions.
Main reasons to choose a Freelance Web Designer:
1) That personal touch
2) If they are experienced you will get a dedicated expert on hand and not have to talk through people
3) You may find as is the case with myself that you have a digital marketing expert to hand also and get some high value consulting thrown into the service (usually free of charge)
4) Price – in many cases a freelancer will compete on price and not quality, often they superseded an agency if they are pro and will come out cheaper, and often save you a lot of headaches if they manage their time well and do not overload their work capacity.
All in all it’s a personal decision but if you are an SME or sole trader my hunch is that a freelancer will work often perfect for you, just be careful (as always) who you choose!